Before Climbing Mount Ijen Crater, Please See This Tips . Ijen Crater is one of Indonesia’s leading tourism objects located on the border of Banyuwangi and Bondowoso. Last year the crater on the active volcanic mountain again spewed gas which made 30 people poisoned. The day after the incident, Head of the Gunung Api Observation Post (PPGA) Ijen Bambang Heri Purwanto immediately recommended the closure of the temporary Ijen Crater for tourists and residents who used to mine sulfur there.
Except for the research and rescue team, no one should approach the Ijen Crater within a 1 kilometer radius until the situation is conducive again. Ijen Crater is crowded with tourists who want to see the Blue Fire phenomenon. This natural phenomenon appears around 2 am to 4 am. Blue Fire is the result of the reaction of natural gas that meets oxygen at a certain temperature. Rare, of course. Because the scenery only occurs in two places in the world, Ijen Crater and Iceland.
Representative from the Banyuwangi branch of the Indonesian Guides Association (HPI), Kisma Donna Wijaya, said that the best time to visit the Ijen Crater is during the months of July to September, the dry season is dry so the climbing terrain is safer. Sulfur miners in Ijen Crater.
The following are Best tips for climbing the Ijen Crater
- Adequate eating and rest before climbing. Don’t stay up late.
- Wear thick clothing to anticipate cold temperatures, especially when doing a midnight climb to see Blue Fire.
- Wear sports shoes with non-slippery footwear.
- Also wear headgear, gloves, and especially mouth masks to anticipate sulfur fumes.
- Must-carry items: raincoat, small flashlight, canned oxygen or medicine for asthma sufferers.
- Start walking with a rhythm slowly until the rhythm is moderate. It is recommended to take a short break 1-2 times in the middle of the climb.
- Drinking water can reduce thirst and dry throat due to the influence of sulfur fumes.
The duration of going up and down the mountain is about four hours, so if you want to see Blue Fire or sunrise, you have to leave early. At 5 am it is a favorite time for tourists to climb there. In addition to the more beautiful scenery, the climbing time in the morning is also safer because there is no gas exploding from the crater. From the city of Banyuwangi to Pos Paltuding which is the climbing gate of Ijen Crater requires 1.5 hours of driving. Data from https://ijenbromotour.com/ The climb from Paltuding to the summit of Ijen Crater takes a distance of 3.2 km with varying terrain starting from a steep, sloping and flat slope towards the peak.